Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a valuable digital marketing strategy that helps your hotel gain its deserved visibility on big search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
However, SEO isn’t always as simple as it sounds. In fact, it is a strategy that is complex and constantly changing to the search engines algorithms, making it common for newcomers to feel overwhelmed.
As digital marketing experts, our team at Island Media Management is always standing by for big, small, independent, or chain hotel businesses striving for digital marketing excellence. In this week’s blog, we introduce to hoteliers to the why, what, and how of SEO.
Why does my website need to be optimized?
The answer is simple. If your website isn’t running with an effective SEO strategy from the beginning, or even the basics, it will be an uphill battle to organically appear in search results.
Imagine looking up your hotel’s name to only appear in the third or fourth page of a search engine. Not only is it a nightmare, but it’s a regret that could have been prevented if with even a minimum of SEO tweaking to your website.
Your hotel brand should be on the first page when people are looking to book a room with you – this also shows that you have a target audience interested in you specifically.
The bottom line: Failing to appear on the first page for your own brand name means you are giving away commissions to OTAs- when guests are actually looking directly for your property by name!
This is the digital equivalent of having a Travel Agent set up in your lobby to earn a commission on walk-in guest bookings. Crazy!
What is Search Engine Optimization?
SEO is a digital marketing strategy that compromises of both creative and technical components that are used to increase the visibility, authority, and presence of a website organically in search results.
You can check out similar blog posts that revolve around SEO here:
- Is keywords in SEO still necessary for hotels?
- Desktop lives on: why everything SEO isn’t mobile prioritized
- Values we live by: SEO’s value to your business
- What can you do if SEO not working.
- Local SEO : How do you calculate ROI from SEO.
- Do I need Content for SEO ?
- How to do Hotel SEO ?
However you choose to create your SEO strategy, it will tell search engines the necessary information. Search Engine needs to know about the quality of content, its relevance, and overall how much you can be trusted.
The purpose of SEO is to drive organic (unpaid) traffic to your website.
Our Favorite SEO Tools
Here are our top picks for useful tools you can use to get a head start in SEO basics:
- Google search console: Search console offers you insight to your overall performance of the technical aspects of your SEO implementation.
- SEO profiler: This tool will come in handy when it comes to crawling your website and flag all the major & minor errors, and even advise you ways to improve your website’s performance.
- Moz bar: Moz bar is a free Chrome extension that can help you get all the pro metrics you require for your website. This is a fantastic tool for competitor analysis.
- Screaming frog: Screaming Frog is one of the most in-depth SEO tool’s in the market. The software crawls through your website’s URL, retrieve important onsite elements, and help you analyze your website better.
With these SEO tips noted, you are now ready to embark on your digital marketing journey with SEO. Of course, we are always here to help busy hoteliers by undertaking these SEO services on your behalf, providing international-quality services regardless of client property size.
We already work with many clients to help them in Website Design, Search Engine Optimization, managing Google Ads Campaign and leveraging their Social Media through Social Media Management or Social Media Ads.
What we do works.